Monday, March 14, 2011

It Started with a Tag




This was the first project I made for the Graphic 45 tryouts & although I am not going to go in order, I wanted to start here. As promised I will be going through some of the techniques I used during this process of craziness! That is while I catch up on the unending loads of laundry that needs to be done! Ah sadly life marches on while we are locked in our studios-brings you right smashing down to reality!

This tag was made using the wrinkle technique which is great for achieving that totally grungy look.
Step 1: Completely crinkle up your tag & then smooth it flat.
2: Swipe your distress ink pad across the surface of the tag, picking up the creases you have created. Here I used fired brick.
3: Spray tag generously with water & allow to dry or heat set. If you like once dry you can iron your tag flat. You will notice the texture of the tag has changed & is smooth & fabric like-most cool!
4. Distress ink your tag liberally with multiple colors. I used wild honey, spiced marmalade, mustard seed, broken china, & chipped sapphire.
5. Stamp tag in layers using tone on tone with like colors & graduate to darker colors-have fun & just slap them on. Don't worry if the image isn't perfect this is grunge! I like to use stazon or archival ink for my text or quotes to get a crisper darker image. In this case I used "applause" from Graphic 45. Use a distress tool to distress the edges of the tag to give it that wonderful worn look & swipe black soot along this edge.


6. Time to add embellishments. The thing I love about G45 is all the tags, postal images...they make great additions to your projects. In this case I put the circus lady postage cut-out under a fragment using glossy accents & adhered it with a brad.
7. Cut a keyhole from grunge paper. Heat distress it with fired brick distress powder & when cool distress with black soot. Attach with brads. Slip the trapeze tag & clip in a hinge clip to the side.
8. Charms are my favorite to add a little something-in this case the silver key was too bright so I toned it down using espresso bean g.glaze. & attached it with a mini pin.
Voila-done!

What to do with all the fabulous tags you create? I have a Holtzed-up tin that I put them in or you can add them to a layout, give with a gift as the tag, or even mail as a card. If you have any questions or comments-let me know! Have a good one!

Supplies:
Graphic 45-paper-Le Cirque.
Tim Holtz-Hardware Findings Sizzix die, fragment, hinge clip, mini pins (Advantus Corp).
Brads-Making Memories, & My Minds Eye
Stamps-Hampton Arts for Graphic 45, Tim Holtz by Stampers Anon.
Ranger: Tag, distress inks, distress powder.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...