Tuesday, June 14, 2016

#prayfororlando


Darkness cannot drive out darkness: 
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate:
only love can do that.
 Martin Luther King, Jr
 
In the wake of the horrific shooting in Orlando, my heart is breaking for the families and the victims of the horrendous act of cowardice, prejudice and hate of one man. It piles up on top of all the hate crimes that have been sweeping the world. It is too much. I do art on this blog, that's it, just art but today I can't be silent. The news is full of finger pointing & politicking. People are trying to pin blame, anger is spilling out. As if any sane person could understand what would drive a young man living in a free country with a family & a roof over his head, to commit such an act. As if this could have been prevented. How? A resourceful person can commit atrocities period. We have seen it played out over & over in many different ways. What we need to do is come together. Help the families who are destroyed by this event. Teach our children this is not OK. This is never OK. We are all different but we all deserve to live and love. I have spilled my anger & sadness into my art. I feel the need to do more, and I will figure out what that means but for now...
 

I have been participating in the monthly contests over on Words & Paintery but, this month is not at all my color palette. Last night I saw the challenge again and it was the quote that struck me. I changed it slightly. This art journal page spilled out & is dedicated to the victims of Orlando. May the "light guide you home".  #prayfororlando.

2 comments:

  1. What a poignant post, Karen. Indeed a sad time for so many! What a lovely dedication you have created. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...